Juliet Peña, M.D., M.P.H. [C]
Dr. Juliet C. Peña is a senior health science writer/editor and lead for editorial operations in the Office of Communications and Public Liaison at NIMHD. She coordinates the development of online and print publications for the Institute.
Prior to joining NIMHD, Dr. Peña worked as a freelance medical writer developing content for continuing medical education in various health topics, writing and editing scientific manuscripts, and creating webinars for health professionals and community health workers. She has a background in patient safety and health policy and also serves as a Section Councilor in the Health Administration Section of the American Public Health Association.
Dr. Peña earned her doctorate in medicine in 2012 and her master’s in health policy and management in 2014 from the University of Arizona in Tucson, AZ. She completed a postdoctoral research fellowship at Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA, where she published and served as an editor for studies on infectious diseases and immunology. Dr. Peña also completed a health policy fellowship at HHS while working closely with the Health Care Quality Division and Health Communication Division at the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Her work at HHS involved helping to launch the National Action Plan on Preventing Adverse Drug Events and establish the National Advisory Council for Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria.
- Peña, J. C. (2018, September 10). Oregon Medicaid program sets the stage for health equity.
- Peña, J. C. (2018, July 17). Workshop summary: on structural racism/discrimination: impact on minority health and health disparities.
- Peña, J. C. & Ho, W. (2016). Non-human primate models of tuberculosis. Microbiology Spectrum, 4(3), TBTB2-0007-2016. doi:10.1128/microbiolspec.TBTB2-0007-2016
- 4. Baehr, A., Ducoffe, A., Peña, J., Rider, B., Yang, S., & Hu, D. J. (2015). Adverse Drug Event Prevention: 2014 Action Plan Conference. American Journal of Medical Quality, 31(5), 476–485. doi:10.1177/1062860615588105
- Baehr, A., Peña, J. C., & Hu, D. J. (2015). Racial and ethnic disparities in adverse drug events: a systematic review of the literature. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 2, 527–536. doi:10.1007/s40615-015-0101-3