NIMHD DSS: Dr. Joan Y. Reede
Acknowledging the Past, Disrupting the Present, Creating a Different Future
Joan Y. Reede, M.D., M.S., M.P.H., M.B.A.
Dean for Diversity and Community Partnership Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School Professor of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Virtual seminar conducted February 16, 2022
2:00 – 3:30 p.m. ET
- Characterize the historical context of race, diversity and inclusion in medicine and science
- Identify benefits of and challenges to diversity and inclusion
- Provide a framework for building a culture of inclusive excellence, including approaches to individual and organizational responses that address racism, advance diversity, equity and inclusion, and create sustained change
Joan Y. Reede, M.D., M.S., M.P.H., M.B.A. is the Dean for Diversity and Community Partnership and a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. She is also a Professor of Society, Human Development and Health at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
Dr. Reede has a lifelong passion for mentoring and supporting diversity in the biosciences. She is responsible for the development and management of a comprehensive program that provides leadership, guidance, and support to promote the increased recruitment, retention, and advancement of underrepresented minority faculty.
While at Harvard Medical School (HMS), Dr. Reede created more than 20 diversity and leadership-focused programs, including founding the HMS Minority Faculty Development Program and the Biomedical Science Careers Program. Before joining Harvard, she served as the medical director of a Boston community health center and worked as a pediatrician in community and academic health centers, juvenile prisons, and public schools. She has held many advisory roles, serving on the HHS Advisory Committee on Minority Health and the Secretary’s Advisory Committee to the Director of NIH. In 2020, she became an American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow.
Dr. Reede graduated from Brown University and Mount Sinai School of Medicine. She holds an MPH and an M.S. in health policy management from Harvard T. H. Chan School, and an MBA from Boston University. Go to Dr. Reede’s full bio
- The seminar will be videocast and available in the NIH Video archives and on the NIMHD website after the presentation.
- Sign language interpreters will be provided upon request.
- Individuals who need reasonable accommodation to participate, please contact Edgar Dews (phone: 301-402-1366) at least five business days before the event.
Page updated February 24, 2022