Deborah Ismond, Ph.D.
Office of Extramural Research Administration
Scientific Review Branch
Dr. Deborah Ismond is a scientific review officer for NIMHD. Previously, she was an intramural research psychologist with the Child Psychiatry Branch, National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), where she coordinated inpatient and outpatient drug trials and other clinical research and was responsible for study implementation, data collection, and statistical analysis. Prior to returning to NIH in 2010, Dr. Ismond had a 25-year consulting career managing proposal efforts for federal contractors, writing and reviewing foundation grants for nonprofit clients, and developing policy-related products for dissemination to targeted audiences. She has also served as a consultant on program evaluation, education policy, mental health, and human services. Dr. Ismond has used her behavioral and social science background and experience in mental health research to contribute to the evaluation of prevention and treatment programs for children and youth. She co-authored a textbook used for training on the diagnosis of childhood psychiatric disorders.
- Ismond, D. R., Rasband, W., Smith, B. M., & Rapoport, J. L. (1987). Patient Activity Monitor (PAM) software for the Macintosh: A system for collecting activity data. Psychopharmacology Bulletin, 23(2), 298–299. PubMed PMID: 3615780.
- Kruesi, M. J., Rapoport, J.L., Cummings, E.M., Berg, C.J., Ismond, D.R., Flament, M., Yarrow, M., & Zahn-Waxler, C. (1987, Nov). Effects of sugar and aspartame on aggression and activity in children. American Journal of Psychiatry, 144(11):1487-1490. PubMed PMID: 3674234.
- Donnelly, M., Rapoport, J.L., Ismond, D.R. (1986). Fenfluramine treatment of childhood attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity: A preliminary report. Psychopharmacology Bulletin, 22(1):152-4. PubMed PMID: 3523573.
- Rumsey, J.M., Grimes, A.M., Pikus, A.M., Duara, R., Ismond, D.R. (1984, Oct). Auditory brainstem responses in pervasive developmental disorders. Biological Psychiatry, 19(10):1403-18. PubMed PMID: 6097310.
- Rapoport, J. L., Berg, C. J., Ismond, D. R., Zahn, T. P., & Neims, A. (1984, Nov). Behavioral effects of caffeine in children. Relationship between dietary choice and effects of caffeine challenge. Archives of General Psychiatry, 41(11), 1073–1079. PubMed PMID: 6497569.
- Rapoport, J. L., & Ismond, D. R. (1982, Nov). Biological research in child psychiatry. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 21(6), 543–548. Review. PubMed PMID: 6129271.
- Porrino, L.J., Rapoport, J.L., Behar, D., Sceery, W., Ismond, D.R., Bunney, W.E. Jr. (1983, Jun). A naturalistic assessment of the motor activity of hyperactive boys. I. Comparison with normal controls. Archives of General Psychiatry, 40(6):681-687. PubMed PMID: 6847335.
- Porrino, L.J., Rapoport, J.L., Behar, D., Ismond, D.R., Bunney, W.E. Jr. (1983, Jun). A naturalistic assessment of the motor activity of hyperactive boys. II. Stimulant drug effects. Archives of General Psychiatry, 40(6):688-693. PubMed PMID: 6847336.